Do you want to get fit and healthy, but don’t quite have the time? Then HIIT may be the answer for you. High intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts are short, intense burst of exercise that can give you great results in a fraction of the time.
Surya Namaskar, an ancient form of yoga known for its health benefits. But does Surya Namaskar really give results as good as HIIT? In this article, we explore the similarities between Surya Namaskar and HIIT and determine whether one is better than the other.
The practice of Surya Namaskar has been around since ancient times and is considered one of the most beneficial forms of yoga. It is a sequence of 12 poses which are said to bring physical, mental and spiritual balance. Studies have shown that regular practice of Surya Namaskar can improve circulation, reduce stress levels and even help with weight loss.
On the other hand, HIIT workouts are designed to give maximum results in minimal time. They involve short bursts of high intensity exercise followed by rest periods in order to push your body harder than traditional cardio or strength training exercises would do on their own.
Research has found that HIIT workouts can result in increased muscle mass, improved cardiovascular fitness and fat-burning effects. So which one is better for achieving your fitness goals?
Surya Namaskar vs. HIIT
Surya Namaskar is a popular yoga practice that involves 12 asanas and works on the entire body. HIIT, on the other hand, stands for High-Intensity Interval Training, which is a form of cardio exercise that involves short bursts of intense exercise followed by periods of rest.
While both Surya Namaskar and HIIT can help you burn calories, they are different in terms of intensity and the type of workout they provide. HIIT is a more intense form of exercise that can help you burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. Surya Namaskar, on the other hand, is a low-impact exercise that is suitable for people of all fitness levels.
According to a study, Surya Namaskar and HIIT were found to be almost equally effective in weight loss, with body fat percentage decreasing in both forms of exercise. However, HIIT was found to be more effective in improving cardiovascular fitness.
|Exercise||Intensity||Calories Burned (per hour)|
It is important to note that both Surya Namaskar and HIIT have their own benefits and it ultimately depends on your fitness goals and preferences.
If you are looking for a low-impact exercise that can help you improve flexibility and overall body strength, Surya Namaskar can be a great option. If you are looking for a more intense workout that can help you burn more calories in a shorter amount of time and improve cardiovascular fitness, HIIT can be a better option.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskar, also known as Sun Salutation, is a popular yoga sequence that consists of 12 postures performed in a specific order. It is a complete body workout that offers numerous physical, mental, and spiritual benefits. Here are some of the benefits of practicing Surya Namaskar regularly:
- Improves flexibility: Surya Namaskar involves a series of forward and backward bending postures that help stretch and tone the muscles, ligaments, and joints. It improves the flexibility of the spine and helps prevent back pain.
- Strengthens muscles and joints: The sequence of postures in Surya Namaskar helps strengthen the muscles, ligaments, and joints of the body. It also improves the functioning of the internal organs.
- Boosts cardiovascular health: Surya Namaskar is an excellent cardiovascular exercise that helps improve blood circulation and oxygenation of the body. It also helps lower blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Reduces stress and anxiety: The rhythmic breathing and movement in Surya Namaskar help calm the mind and reduce stress and anxiety. It also helps improve focus and concentration.
- Aids in weight loss: Surya Namaskar is an effective way to burn calories and lose weight. One round of Surya Namaskar burns about 13.90 calories for someone who is of moderate weight (80-90 Kgs). If you do 108 rounds, it consumes about 1500 calories.
Surya Namaskar is a complete workout that offers numerous physical, mental, and spiritual benefits. It is a great way to start your day and energize your body and mind.
Benefits of HIIT
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a form of cardiovascular exercise that involves short bursts of intense exercise followed by periods of rest or low-intensity exercise. Here are some benefits of HIIT:
- Efficient: HIIT workouts are typically shorter than traditional cardio workouts, but they can burn more calories in less time.
- Increased Metabolism: HIIT can increase your metabolism, which means you will continue to burn calories even after your workout is over.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health: HIIT can improve your cardiovascular health by lowering your blood pressure and reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Increased Endurance: HIIT can improve your endurance by increasing your VO2 max, which is the maximum amount of oxygen your body can use during exercise.
- Can Be Done Anywhere: HIIT workouts can be done anywhere, with little to no equipment required.
Overall, HIIT can be a great addition to any fitness routine. It can help you burn more calories, improve your cardiovascular health, and increase your endurance.
Also Read: Does Surya Namaskar Help You Gain Weight
Can Surya Namaskar be a substitute for HIIT?
While Surya Namaskar can provide a good workout and has numerous health benefits, it may not be a complete substitute for HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training). HIIT workouts are designed to alternate between periods of high-intensity exercise and recovery periods of lower intensity.
HIIT workouts have been shown to be effective for burning calories, increasing metabolism, and improving cardiovascular health. Surya Namaskar, on the other hand, is a series of yoga poses that are performed in a particular sequence and is more focused on stretching, flexibility, and mindfulness.
However, Surya Namaskar can be a good addition to a workout routine, especially for those who want to improve their flexibility, balance, and mindfulness. It can also be a good option for those who prefer a low-impact workout.
It is important to note that both HIIT and Surya Namaskar can be customized to meet individual fitness levels and goals. It is always best to consult with a fitness professional to determine the best workout routine for your needs.
Moving on from the benefits of Surya Namaskar, let’s take a look at how it compares to other forms of exercise. Specifically, does Surya Namaskar provide results similar to those of a high intensity interval training (HIIT) workout? To answer this question, let’s compare and contrast the two types of exercises:
- HIIT involves short bursts of intense activity interspersed with periods of rest.
- Surya Namaskar is a series of 12 postures linked together in a continuous flow.
Both HIIT and Surya Namaskar are great cardiovascular workouts that strengthen muscles and burn calories. However, HIIT focuses more on strength training while Surya Namaskar emphasizes flexibility, balance and breath control. Therefore, while both offer significant health benefits, they serve different purposes.
In addition to physical benefits, each also offers unique mental advantages. For instance, HIIT workouts can help release endorphins which create a sense of euphoria or happiness after exercising; on the other hand, Surya Namaskar can be used as a meditative practice that helps relieve stress and calm the mind.
So while both HIIT and Surya Namaskar are great ways to stay fit, they offer different benefits depending on one’s individual needs:
- HIIT is perfect for those seeking an intense but quick workout routine
- Surya Namaskar is ideal for those looking for physical activity combined with relaxation and meditation
Common Mistakes To Avoid
When doing Surya Namaskar, it is essential to avoid common mistakes. Poor form, incorrect breathing patterns, inadequate rest periods, wrong number of reps, and wrong posture placement can hinder the effectiveness of the exercise.
It is important to get the proper form when doing Surya Namaskar. Poor form can lead to injury or prevent you from getting the most out of your workout. Make sure that your feet are firmly planted on the ground and that you maintain a straight back throughout the exercise. Additionally, move slowly and focus on each pose to ensure that you are performing all movements correctly.
Finally, pay attention to the duration and intensity of your workouts. Be sure to take adequate rest periods between sets and never overexert yourself during a session.
Make sure that you are not pushing too hard for too many reps as this can result in fatigue and put strain on your body. By avoiding these mistakes, you can ensure that you get the most out of your Surya Namaskar sessions and reach your fitness goals successfully.
Related Read: Is Surya Namaskar A Cardio Exercise
Based on the research studies and information available, it can be concluded that Surya Namaskar has several health benefits and can be an effective form of exercise. It is a low-impact exercise that can be practiced by people of all ages and fitness levels.
Research studies have shown that Surya Namaskar can improve pulmonary function, respiratory pressures, and hand grip strength. It can also help increase blood flow to the intestines, resulting in improved digestive tract function.
Surya Namaskar can also be an effective way to burn calories and lose weight. Additionally, the meditative aspect of Surya Namaskar can help reduce stress and promote mental well-being.