Yoga is a popular form of exercise that has been practiced for thousands of years. It is known for its ability to improve flexibility, strength, and balance. However, many people wonder if yoga can also help with weight loss. One yoga pose that has gained popularity for its potential weight loss benefits is the plank pose.
The plank pose is a challenging yoga pose that requires you to hold your body in a straight line from head to heels. It is a full-body exercise that engages your core, arms, shoulders, and legs. While the plank pose is often used to improve core strength and stability, some people believe that it may also help with weight loss.
What is the Plank Pose?
Plank Pose, also known as Phalakasana, is a yoga pose that is commonly practiced in yoga classes and fitness routines. It is a simple yet effective pose that targets the core muscles, including the abs, back, and shoulders.
The pose is performed by coming into a push-up position, with the hands and toes on the ground and the body in a straight line. The arms are straight and the shoulders are directly over the wrists. The core is engaged, and the hips are lifted to prevent sagging. The gaze is directed towards the ground, and the breath is steady and controlled.
Plank Pose can be modified to suit different fitness levels and abilities. For beginners, the pose can be performed on the knees or with the forearms on the ground. For advanced practitioners, the pose can be held for longer periods of time or combined with other poses to create a challenging flow.
How Does Plank Pose Help in Losing Weight?
Plank pose is a great exercise for losing weight. It is a full-body workout that engages multiple muscle groups at once, boosting the metabolic rate and benefiting core strength.
Here are some ways that plank pose can help you lose weight:
- Increases metabolic rate: Plank pose engages multiple muscle groups, which increases the metabolic rate. This means that your body will burn more calories even when you are at rest.
- Burns calories: Plank pose is a calorie-burning exercise that can help you lose weight. According to LivLong, a 150-pound person can burn about 3.5 calories per minute doing plank pose.
- Tones muscles: Plank pose is a full-body workout that tones muscles throughout the body. This can help you lose weight by increasing muscle mass, which burns more calories than fat.
- Improves posture: Plank pose can help improve posture, which can make you look taller and leaner. Good posture can also help you engage your core muscles more effectively during other exercises, which can help you burn more calories.
Overall, plank pose is an effective exercise for losing weight. It engages multiple muscle groups, burns calories, tones muscles, and improves posture. By incorporating plank pose into your workout routine, you can achieve your weight loss goals while also improving your overall health and fitness.
Other Benefits of Plank Pose
In addition to potentially aiding in weight loss efforts, the plank pose offers several other benefits for the body and mind.
Here are some of the other benefits:
- Improves posture: The plank pose can help improve posture by strengthening the muscles in the back, shoulders, and neck. This can help reduce the risk of developing back pain and other posture-related issues.
- Increases core strength: The plank pose is an excellent exercise for strengthening the core muscles, including the abs and lower back. This can help improve overall stability and balance.
- Reduces stress: Practicing the plank pose can help reduce stress and anxiety by promoting relaxation and mindfulness.
- Boosts metabolism: The plank pose can help boost the metabolism, which can aid in weight loss efforts.
- Improves flexibility: The plank pose can help improve flexibility in the hamstrings, calves, and arches of the feet.
Those just starting out should begin by holding the pose for 10 seconds at a time before working up to longer holds as their strength increases.
The plank pose is an excellent exercise for improving overall health and well-being. Incorporating this pose into a regular yoga practice can offer a range of physical and mental benefits.
Also Read: Is Hiit Better Than Yoga To Lose Weight?
How to Perform Plank Pose?
Plank pose is a great exercise to strengthen your core and improve your posture. Here are the steps to perform a plank pose:
- Start in a push-up position with your hands directly under your shoulders and your fingers spread wide apart.
- Engage your core muscles by pulling your belly button in towards your spine.
- Press your palms and toes into the ground, and lift your body up so that your arms are straight and your body forms a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Make sure to keep your shoulders away from your ears and your neck in line with your spine.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or as long as you can maintain good form.
- To release the pose, slowly lower your body back down to the ground.
Remember to breathe deeply and evenly throughout the pose. If you’re new to plank pose, you can start with a modified version by dropping down to your knees or performing the pose against a wall or a chair.
As you become more comfortable with the pose, you can try variations such as side plank or plank with leg lifts to challenge your core muscles even more.
Muscle Groups Involved In Plank Pose
Plank pose primarily works the abdominal muscles, core muscles, arm muscles and back muscles. Although the legs are not actively engaged in the pose, they still play a role as stabilizing agents.
The abdominal muscles are engaged when performing plank pose. This involves contracting the rectus abdominis and transverse abdominis to hold the torso up in the correct position.
The core muscles also help to keep the body rigid during this exercise. A strong core is important to maintain proper form and prevent injury during plank pose.
The arms and back are both used to support one’s weight in plank pose. The biceps and triceps along with the lats and rhomboids contribute to keeping the arms straight for maximum benefit of this exercise.
Keeping your back straight helps engage your glutes and hamstring which helps with proper alignment of your body while executing plank pose.
By engaging these muscle groups, individuals can reap many benefits from practicing plank pose regularly including increased strength and improved posture while losing weight at the same time.
Precautions to Take While Doing Plank Pose
Plank pose is a great exercise for building strength and toning muscles, but it is important to take some precautions while practicing it to avoid injury. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Make sure your wrists are directly under your shoulders and your fingers are spread wide apart to distribute your weight evenly.
- Avoid locking your elbows and hyperextending your arms.
- Engage your core muscles and keep your body in a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Avoid dropping your hips too low or raising them too high.
- Don’t hold your breath. Instead, breathe deeply and evenly throughout the pose.
- If you have any wrist or shoulder injuries, consider modifying the pose or skipping it altogether.
- Listen to your body and don’t push yourself beyond your limits.
By taking these precautions, you can safely and effectively practice plank pose and enjoy its many benefits.
Related Read: Can Half Moon Yoga Pose Burn Belly Fat
Yoga plank pose is an effective way to strengthen your core muscles, improve your posture, and increase your overall body strength. It can help you build muscle mass and increase your metabolism, which can ultimately lead to weight loss.
Additionally, incorporating yoga into your weight loss routine can provide other benefits beyond burning calories. Yoga can help you manage stress, improve your mood, curb emotional eating, and create a community of support, all of which can help with weight loss and maintenance.
Overall, yoga plank pose can be a beneficial addition to your weight loss routine. It can help you build strength and improve your overall health, while also providing benefits beyond burning calories. So, if you’re looking to lose weight and improve your overall well-being, consider adding yoga plank pose to your workout routine.